Daniel's key note was my favourite of all presentations and some of the key take aways were:
|Daniel Young - Social Media and Content Lead - Ebay Australia|
- Having a mobile optimised website is possibly more important than doing social media. Get the basics right first.
- 7 million visitors a month to Ebay Australia.
- 84% of products are new products and just 16% are second hand
- Mobile traffic is a key player on Ebay Australia strategy. Ebay Australia Mobile traffic already accounts for 53% of total traffic.
- Customisation is key: Ebay presents products that shoppers are interested on.
- Ebay market positioning between: Amazon (Utility) and Pinterest/Etsy (Engagement).
- Ebay Australia key Social Media objective: Sharing products and stories; advocacy.
- Create and publish great stories to inspire shoppers as the key of Ebay Australia Social Strategy.
- Ebay Australia key consumer segments where they are currently focusing on: Mums and Fashion (Fashion Gallery launched mid 2012) with over 60 retailers signed up for the fashion gallery.
|Ebay Australia Fashion Gallery - August 2013 - Home Page Carousel |
- Ebay Australia is also working with bloggers and trend setters to get people share great stories and products.
Other Tips from Daniel to companies doing social media:
- Have a clear objective.
- Better to concentrate on one social channel and be deep than having many social channels and being thin.
- Identify your value proposition and promote it well.
- Share your knowledge.
- Do not expect immediate results
- Great Case study: Black Milk (Brisbane) No traditional marketing, just use of Social Media with fantastic content.
- Your customers are fuel for inspirational stories.
- Also find unique product stories. Example: Australia's most expensive Holden for sale on
We are Social is the current Social Media Agency for Ebay Australia.